Here are the upcoming stake events for the year:
- First Aid: February, 19th (6:30pm – 9:00pm) – Bring your own First Aid Kit if you have one.
- Location: Monument Building
- Hiking: March, 19th (10:00am – 1:00pm) – Pack a lunch and water
- Location: Bell Isle
- Camping: April, 22/23 (Time TBD)
- Citizenship: May, 7th (10:00am – 11:30am)
- Location: VA War Memorial
- Camping: June, 10/11 (Time TBD)
- Location: Albright
- Day Camp: July, 16th (8:30am – 4:00pm)
- Location: Three Lakes Park
- Swimming: August, 19th (6:30pm – 8:30pm)
- Biking: September, 10th (9:00am – 12:00pm) – Bring snacks and water
- Location: Capitol Trail
- Camping: October 21/22 (Time TBD)
- Service: November, 19th (Time TBD) – Service project TBD
- CPR: December – Date and Time TBD
All of these activities will have more info coming as they get closer. Thank you for putting these dates in your planners.
Also, on a rare occasion the BSA updates/changes the Rank requirements. These are the requirements in the book, not merit badges. As of Jan 1, 2016 there have been some changes. I will attach an updated list of the new requirements. If your scout is currently working on a rank, he can complete that rank using the old requirements. I believe all of the 11 yo scouts are working on completing Tenderfoot rank. Any rank beginning after 1/1/16, will need to be completed using the new requirements. This being said, while our 11 yo scouts are working on 3 ranks at the same time, because Tenderfoot is not completed,they are technically still Scouts working on Tenderfoot. Because work on the Tenderfoot rank was begun last year, it can be completed with the old requirements.
The ranks need to be completed in order: Scout, Tenderfoot, 2nd Class, 1st Class, etc. Therefore, the 2nd, & 1st Class ranks will need to be completed using the new requirements.
We try to give our 11 yo scouts a boost before they turn 12 by completing requirements in a few ranks at a time. This is why you will see requirements marked off in more than 1 rank during the next year.
NEW RANK REQUIREMENTS:
Another requirement of BSA is that in order for a scout, (any scout) to participate in activities, other than troop meetings, he is required to have a medical form on file with the troop. These forms have to be updated annually. Please fill out the medical forms part A & B, and give them to John Oliver, Gain Foster, Alvin Walsh, or Patti Hobbs.
I know this is kind of alien to new scout parents. I will let you know that I have been in scouting for many years, but began when my son was 8 years old. I knew nothing about scouting either, but learned as I went along. Please, please ask questions if you don’t understand. I will do my best to update and explain things to you. Scouting is such an amazing program for our boys. I don’t want you to become frustrated or have your son miss out on something amazing, and fun.
Thanks so much for all you do,
Troop Comm Chrmn
P.S. – Be sure your scout brings his scout book to every gathering, meeting, etc. This is the way to stay current with his achievements.